A City of McGregor Petition to “require a vote” for CITY RESOLUTION R-14-21
The undersigned qualified voters of the City of McGregor, Texas, being at least five percent of the qualified voters of McGregor, protest the issuance of the Combination Tax and Revenue Certificates of Obligation as proposed by the McGregor City Council in Resolution R-14-21 and request that an election on such issuance be ordered, held, and conducted in the manner provided for bond elections under Chapter 1251, Texas Government Code.
Download the Petition .pdf – [to allow printing]
Please print the Petition, follow all of the instructions precisely, and ask other like-minded people to sign. Call me if you need any help of any kind – [I screen, leave a message] – 254-723-8318.
Since April of 2019 McGregor Water, Streets, and Taxes Group, has been attempting to refocus the City Spending on City Residents. Our City Leadership is headed in a completely different direction. It appears Taxpayers are considered the mechanism that pays for the extravagant spending. We should be enjoying the benefits and not carrying the load. We need to change our Wards 2, 4, and 6 City Council Members in May of 2022.
McGregor Water, Streets, and Taxes Group Members:
[Why should I sign the Petition]?
- THIS IS NOT AN EMERGENCY – so it should be put to a public vote. Texas intended the law to allow cities to borrow Certificate of Obligation money [without voter approval] to be for “emergencies.” McGregor has chosen to do this for all outstanding Certificate of Obligation debt – [$21+ million dollars in existing Debt. This NEW Debt is not an emergency, it is for infrastructure in the Industrial Park for businesses that have not been located there yet.
- THIS IS A LOT OF NEW DEBT – More than doubling the existing Debt. Voters should get the opportunity to “co-sign” the loan.
- THIS IS GIVING THE CITY A $33+ MILLION BLANK CHECK – the city would be able to divert the money for things other than what was discussed by the City Council. A vote would require the city to expend the money only on specified projects.
- TAKING OUT $33+ MILLION IN DEBT JUSTIFIES THE TIME AND EXPENSE TO HOLD AN ELECTION.
- COULD IT BE THAT THE CITY DOESN’T TRUST YOUR JUDGMENT, OR THAT THE CITY’S PRIORITIES ARE NOT YOURS?
City Council Meeting – December 13, 2021 – Authorizing Publication of a “Notice of Intention” to Issue another Certificate of Obligation without allowing Voter Approval.
[Amount not disclosed at the Council Meeting]
An annotated version of the December 23, 2021, McGregor Mirror.